J. G. Elliott Company began as the Wakefield Insurance Agency in 1920 in an office in the Bluffs Theatre Building. It became known as Wakefield & Elliott Inc. when Jack Elliott joined the firm in 1925. When Jack Elliott bought out Wakefield the name was changed to J. G. Elliott Company and the Agency moved to a spacious new office on the second floor in the Murphy Building at 16th & Broadway.